VP and Corporate Controller (In-Office, Remote, or Hybrid)
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Location: Corporate Office, Remote, or Hybrid in Deer Valley, Phoenix, Arizona
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time; Benefit Eligible
The Controller has responsibility over External Financial Reporting and Compliance, and Management and Cost Accounting functions within the Company. External Financial Reporting primarily consists of financial reporting to the SEC, investors, and lenders; the related compliance requirements, and reporting required for capital market financing such as Forms S-1 and S-3. Management Accounting involves preparing and presenting financial information for internal purposes to be used by management in making critical business decisions. Cost accounting is a form of managerial accounting that aims to capture a company's total cost of production by assessing its variable and fixed costs, in a way that can be used to improve financial performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Timely and accurate filing of financial SEC reports including but not limited to 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K, and 14-A’s; collaborating with internal and external contributors and reviewers, external legal counsel, third-party auditors, and third-party service providers for edgarizing and xbrl tagging.
- Researching complex accounting transactions, partnering with CFO and external advisors to establish and document the Company’s position on accounting treatment.
- Supporting investor relations function by providing meaningful and accurate financial information.
- Providing the CFO with accurate and meaningful reporting to the Board of Directors for both regular meetings and ad-hoc requests.
- Completing monthly financial statements and reports for internal management use.
- Ensuring overall controls, including SOX 404b compliance when and as appropriate, components required to meet this objective include:
- Maintaining the risks and controls matrix to ensure adequate internal controls are identified and implemented throughout the organization,
- Educating business process owners and key constituents throughout the organization about compliance requirements, and
- Working with business process owners to ensure controls are documented, operating effectively, and maintained as business processes evolve.
- Internal liaison with outsourced internal audit function, if established.
- Internal liaison with external auditors for 404b testing as necessary.
- Maintaining long- and short-term financial forecasts including but not limited to; core financial statements, borrowing base, debt covenant compliance, and core management metrics.
- Partnering with CFO and asset custodians (inventory and AR) to proactively plan and manage working capital requirements and initiatives.
- Partnering with budget owners across organizations to create annual budgets.
- Distributing monthly reporting of budget/forecast to actual reporting to budget owners.
- Proactively highlighting to the Management team where particular focus is needed based on analysis of trends; including but not limited to revenue, gross margins, operating expenses, and working capital.
- Continuously evaluating internal reporting needs and implementing processes/tools to provide Executive and Management teams with information needed to drive results.
- Administering the Company’s equity compensation program:
- Providing equity compensation plan-related information to CFO, Human Resources, and external legal counsel as needed.
- Providing equity compensation-related journal entries to CFO.
- Demonstrating leadership within the organization by operating within professional standards of conduct required of a credentialed financial professional including and not limited to;
- Upholding ethical standards,
- Exercising professional due care,
- Upholding company policies and procedures, and
- Fostering a collaborative and cohesive work environment with internal and external constituents.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Direct Supervisor – managing accounting and bookkeeping staff, currently at 2 FTE.
- Leadership Role – manage accounting team as required to deliver objectives and develop employees to their fullest potential.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with previous experience in both supervisory and leadership positions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate financial concepts to all levels and disciplines within the organization.
- Advanced analytical skills including out-of-the-box thinking and the ability to extrapolate meaningful information from data.
- Advanced financial modeling skills.
- Advanced computer skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, Master’s degree is a plus.
- Active CPA certification.
- 5-10 years of experience with a combination of Accounting and Financial Analysis roles.
- 3-5 years of experience in a public company environment, with demonstrated experience with SEC reporting.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, ever-changing, start-up environment.
Physical Demands and Travel Requirements
- Most working hours are in a home or corporate office setting, either working independently or meeting with team members and corporate leadership in a conference room.
- Will be required to travel for in-person meetings to the corporate office in Phoenix, Arizona once a quarter.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds required. Ability to use standard lab and office equipment including computer, desk or cell phone, copier, and fax machines.
- Non-disclosure agreements are required of all candidates during the interview process to protect company confidential and proprietary information.
- Position-specific aptitude assessments will be conducted on all second-round candidates.
- Various background, driving, employment, and education verifications, and clean drug screens are required and will be run for all final-round candidates.
- Occupational health assessments and position-specific vaccinations may be required for specific positions.
Compensation & Benefits:
SenesTech offers competitive compensation based on experience, current market, and KSAs. This is a non-exempt, full-time, benefit-eligible position requiring 40 hours of work per week; yet may require overtime in extenuating circumstances approved by the leadership team. SenesTech is a publicly traded company and stock options may also be available as supplemental, performance-based compensation.
Total Rewards Package:
- Flexible schedules.
- A robust PTO package includes 2-4 weeks ‘accrued vacation, ~13 paid holidays, 1 week (40 hours) of paid sick leave, and up to 2 personal days.
- Companywide events with catering.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance for eligible employees.
- Long-term and short-term disability.
- Voluntary benefit packages offered include pet insurance, accident & critical illness coverage, and legal retainer insurance.
- Employee contribution 401K program.
- Company advancement opportunities.
- Equity compensation and spot bonus programs may be available as supplemental, performance-based compensation.
- Position-based company-provided software and hardware; position specific.
SenesTech is an at-will employer meaning your employment is for an indefinite period and it is subject to termination by you or your employer, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time.
SenesTech is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws and make all hiring decision based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
SenesTech requires a series of screenings, clearances, and verifications on all final candidates, and any offers are contingent on the results of those clearances.